Tuesday, November 04, 2008

When Do People Go to Heaven?

I just love it when people read my BLOG and ask more questions. I can't think of anything more honoring and I will do my best to give you an honest answer.

So, here is the newest question: "At what point do you think people go to Heaven? Straight after they die or when the world ends and everyone goes together?"

Answer: First of all, thanks for your question. I know it is close to your heart. It is more important to know what God says, than what I think, so let's take a look at His Word.

2 Cor. 5:8 says, " . . . to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord." It is clear that we who are "in Christ", that is we have been re-born spiritually in Christ and had our sins forgiven go to be with God immediately upon death. There is no waiting. Our soul does not go to sleep, we are taken to heaven. When we are done with this earthly body, either through age, accident, sickness or other means, we are immediately with the Lord.

There is something hinted at in your question, though, that I need to address, and that is that everyone does not go to heaven. Only those who are "in Christ" will go. You are right that a time will come when the world will end, but not everyone will automatically go to heaven.

John 5:24-29 speaks to this very clearly. Faith in Christ is the key to eternal life. Those who place their faith in Christ have a future with God after death. Those who do not believe and do not place their faith in Christ have a dim future, and that's putting it lightly.

I hope this helps. Thanks again for your question.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ros said...

Thank you for your answer. Sorry I probably didn't phrase my question correctly - I meant everyone who is going to Heaven through Christ rather than everyone in the world.

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home